This month, Australia and New Zealand are having an extra, one-off public holiday to mark the passing of Queen Elizabeth II. These are taking place on September 22 in Australia and September 26 in New Zealand.
To record the appropriate leave payments and liabilities for the new public holiday in Advanced Payroll, you’ll need to add the new holiday to the work calendar, and also account for any other payroll activities affected such as new starters, terminations, and existing leave requests.
Adding the new holiday to the work calendars
Repeat these instructions for each affected work calendar.
- Go to Organisation > Work Calendar (CS2090PL)
- Click the Calendar ID, and go to the Exceptions tab.
- Select the year 2022.
- Click the + icon to add a row, and enter the appropriate details:
- Date: 22/09/2022 (Australia) or 26/09/2022 (NZ)
- Description: Queen’s Memorial
- Work Day: Select this option if employees are expected to work on the public holiday
- Click Save once you’ve finished updating all the relevant work calendars.
Checking other affected payroll activities
New starters and terminations
Pre-existing leave requests
Employees with leave already planned on the new holiday are entitled to the new holiday depending on the type of leave, and whether it was paid or unpaid:
- In both Australia and New Zealand, annual and sick leave must only be replaced if it’s “paid” and the day would have been a regular/normal work day for the employee.
- For Australian long service leave, the rules are determined by state or territory legislation.
- Unpaid leave cannot be replaced by a paid public holiday
For more information about which employees are entitled to the public holiday, see the available government guidance:
- New Zealand:
Managing pre-existing leave requests
If you do have any leave requests that need to be changed, manage them depending on how they were generated.
- Leave requests from ESS – Get the manager or payroll user to update these.
- Leave requests from a third-party system – Either modify the leave request in the Advanced Payroll timesheet, or re-enter the leave request in the third-party system following the vendor’s instructions.
- Leave requests from Advanced Workforce Management – For information on updating public holidays in Workforce Management, see Roubler Support – Management Settings: Public Holidays.